Summer is upon us and in Texas that means 100 plus temperatures. Obviously, a cup of hot freshly roasted coffee does not always sound refreshing! This is when I reach for my Toddy and start brewing. The Toddy is brewing system that makes a concentrated cold brew and can be done at your home. Once the cold brew is complete you can add cold water to make an americano or milk to make an iced latte.
To get started you will need a pound freshly ground (coarse) coffee. If you don’t want to use a whole pound of coffee then you adjust the water to coffee ratio appropriately.
- Insert the stopper and a wet filter into the Toddy
- Pour in 2 cups of filtered water and add a half pound of coffee on top of the water
- Pour five cups of filtered water on top of the half pound of coffee
- Make sure to pour slowly in a circular motion so that all of the coffee grounds get wet
- Next, pour in the remaining half pound of coffee and let it sit for five minutes
- Once the five minutes is up slowly pour (again in a circular motion) two more cups of filtered water
- You can push the coffee grounds down with the back of a spoon but don’t stir
- Because it is a cold brewing method the Toddy needs to brew for 12 hours
- Place a paper towel or piece of foil on top of it as a cover and come back to it when it’s ready!
- Once the time is up pull out the stopper and sit the Toddy on top of the glass jar
The Toddy makes six cups of cold brew and will stay fresh in your fridge for 14 days according to the manufacturer, we suggest that you keep it for about a week. Another good aspect about Toddy is that it is has really low acidity. And if you do want a cup of hot coffee, you can just add hot water to the concentrate and you have yourself a nice hot cup of coffee. The recommended ratio is one part coffee concentrate to 3 parts water or milk. However, you can adjust these levels to accommodate your taste preference.
If you are interested in purchasing a Toddy contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.